|Season 1, Episode 2|
Lyon of Scrimmage
Adam passes a test with flying colors and gets put into a class full of dorks, known as "The Spiffies".
A placement test score puts Adam with the spiffles. Adam hates the class at first, but begins to like it after he correctly spells a word. Adam is used to being smarter than he actually is, and the gangs' only hope seems to be a spelling bee... Which if won by the gang will restore the old Adam.
- Adam Lyon
- Jake Spidermonkey
- Slips Python
- Windsor Gorilla
- Ingrid Giraffe
- Lupe Toucan
- Phineas Porpoise
- Marvin Hammy
- Aloysius Elephant
- Daniel Calamari
- Nestor Parrot
- Mr. Blowhole
- Adam: Okay Jake, spell "sulfuric".
- Jake: ... D, E, R, F.
- (Adam gets moved up to the advanced class)
- Mr. Blowhole: Please welcome out newest overachiever, Adam Lyon.
- Adam: Do you guys have any ideas how to get me out of Spiffy class?
- (Adam's friends sit in silence and a "Duuuuh" voice is heard in the background)
- Adam: That's a great idea! I'll just act like you guys ... Uh, I ... I mean ... I'll put on a "dumb act".
- Phineas: It's no wonder your name is Adam, get it? A ... dumb, get it? You should change your last name to ignoramus. "A dumb ignoramus".
- (Spiffies laugh)
- Marvin: He's so dumb, his name should be Adstupid. (laughs obnoxiously)
- (No one laughs and they just stare at him)
- Marvin: Or not.
- (Spiffies laugh)
- Windsor: Looks like we've lost Adam to the dork side.
- Mr. Blowhole: The next word is for Team Sloth. The word is "doughnut".
- Sloth: Psssh. "Donut"? Is that the Ye Olde English version orrrrr, the more modern?
- Mr. Blowhole: Ye Olde English please.
- Sloth: Oooooh, odsbodikins. That is longer. Um ... let's see ... D, ... O, ... (falls asleep)
- (buzzer goes off)
- Sloth: (wakes up) Uh, N, ...
- Mr. Blowhole: I'm sorry, you are over the time limit.
- Mr. Blowhole: Mr. Spidermonkey, step up to the microphone and spell "ludicrous".
- Jake: Lou Christie?
- Mr. Blowhole: "Ludicrous".
- Jake: Loofer crust?
- Mr. Blowhole: (irritated) The word is "ludicrous".
- Jake: Origin and meaning, please?
- Mr. Blowhole: "Ludicrous", from the Latin, "Ludus", amusing or laughable, through obvious absurdity.
- Jake: Uuuuusage please.
- Mr. Blowhole: (annoyed) Lucia's loud, lavender luggage looked ludicrous. Once again, the word is "ludicrous".
- Jake: HA HA! It sure is.
- Mr. Blowhole: (enraged) SPELL IT!!!
- (Jake bounces in the air and swings around on vines)
- Jake: Whooo! Ludicrous! L, U, D, I, C, R, O, U, S! Ludicrous!
- Mr. Blowhole: Up next from team Spiffy (ahem) I mean, the advanced class team ...
- Spiffies: One of us. (snort) One of us. (snort)
- First appearance of Phineas and "The Spiffies".
- Jake proves to be a spot-on speller, but only while he's swinging.
- Prisons and Lizards is a parody on Dungeons and Dragons.
- A running gag involves characters mispelling words as "D.E.R.F."
- Windsor says they lost Adam to the "dork side". This is a reference to Star Wars, where a plot device was "joining the dark side".
- Jake misinterperets the word "Ludicrous" as "Lou Christie". Lou Christie is the name of a popular real-life singer from the 60's.
- Mr. Blowhole's given definition of "ludicrous" seems to be taken directly from the Merriam-Wesbter Dictionary.
- Billboard Gag: Spelling Bee Today. It Not Bee Tomorrow.
- Ending Credits Gag: Sloth trying to spell "cat."
- When Lupe explained who The Spiffies were, her eyelashes were gone.
- When Adam walked up to the microphone, the pupils of Aloysius Elephant were gone.
- In the credits, the last names of Marvin Hammy and Daniel Calimari are "Hammish" and "Tentacles", respectively. In all subsequent episodes, the last names are what we know them as now.