- "Whoever said humans and monkeys share the same genes is an idiot."
- —Adam Lyon
Adam M. Lyon
When Adam Lyon was a baby, he started a collection of princess ballerina snow globes, having stolen his first one from his grandmother, (Carny Crazy). He knew his best human friend and love interest, Kerry before he was a year old. One Thanksgiving, they both walked into each other and kissed on the lips, (A Thanksgiving Carol).
When Adam was 11, he attended Chester Arthur Middle School with Kerry and his frenemy Chad, the school board made a mix up in the middle of his 6th grade year, (most likely in between semesters), and assumed he was a lion, due to his last name. He was then abruptly transferred to Charles Darwin Middle School, a predominantly animal school, without warning or permission from his parents.
Adam hated CDMS, and leaving behind his old life. However, he had to adjust by fitting in with someone. So, he befriended Jake Spidermonkey, after they were paired up in gym. Jake stuck with him and gave him connections to his other friends, Slips Python, Windsor Gorilla, Lupe Toucan, and Ingrid Giraffe. The six of them formed a friend circle together, which they refer to as a "pack", due to them working together, to pull through the chaos of middle school.
Adam stayed in touch with his old friends. He saw Kerry every day at the bus stop and she was intrigued by his animal school. However, Adam was embarrassed of his school and usually tried avoiding the topic. Chad didn't make it easier for him, constantly mocking him for the abnormality of his new life.
Starting somewhere around season 4, Adam grew very close with his school and truly embraced the animal lifestyle. He took advantage of being the token human (A Very Special Boy), he adopted so much animal characteristics, he lost touch with his human side (Human Behavior), and he discovered how much he loved the uniqueness of being the only human, (Wild Thing).
In the series finale, Principal Pixiefrog bluntly explained Adam's fate, assuming that he'd go to an animal high school and college and with that education, he could only land animal related jobs, making the rest of his life animal related. He gave him the advice to spend his summers as far away from animals as possible, so he could have a bit of joy in life. Adam had a drag, doing human things for the beginning of the season, so he became a zookeeper at the Zoo Aquarium, spending more time with his friends. He was much happier there, so the animals decided to welcome him to their group, and dub him an honorary zoo animal. Adam was overjoyed to spend his life, living in an exhibit and spending the rest of his days as a human animal.
Adam has ginger colored hair. He has freckles, 3 on his left cheek and one on his right cheek. Adam's outfit consists of an amber colored T shirt, dark green shorts, maroon colored sneakers with gold stripes and a taupe colored backpack. He usually wears "Captain Clowny" underpants (underpants with a clown face of the rear end of them, which includes an actual red clown nose to honk) which are revealed in several episodes, but most times they are just plain tighty-whities. However, in Docu-Trauma, his underwear is revealed to be blue plaid boxer shorts. And, in the special episode, "Animal School Musical", his underpants were revealed to be special "Animal School Musical" underwear.
Adam's personality is downtrodden, due to being the only human in an animal school. He also has a reputation of complaining about his daily experiences. Adam can be selfish or strongwilled at times. Towards the middle of the series, Adam seems to be on the borderline of sanity. Throughout the series, he has shown an interest in clowns. For instance, his favorite super hero is Captain Clowny, he eagerly hopes to attend a clown-based summer day-camp, and his college of choice is Clown College, as seen on his resume in the episode "My Feral Lyon".
Adam is a close friend of Jake, although he has shown that he disapproves of Jake's antics and low intelligence. Adam was paired up with him in gym class, and the two became best friends. Jake's plans have him getting involved in situations that get Adam in trouble.
Adam's always got Slips' back, and helps him out, when he's in a jam. Like Jake, Slips makes stupid comments and dumb decisions, but Adam doesn't seem to get as angry with him as he does with Jake.
Adam turns to Windsor for advice, since he has all the knowledge. When a non-academic problem comes into play, ehether it's emotional, pschological, or physical, Windsor seeks help from Adam.
Adam helps Lupe out, whenever she's in need. When Lupe gets feisty and tries to attack someone, Adam usually has to hold her back, before things get ugly.
Adam is oblivious to Ingrid's crush on him, and at times, even comically unaware of her existence. Adam gives Ingrid the least amount of respect and attention of the group, and can often be freaked out be her insecurity and emotional outbursts.
Adam is frequently bullied by Bull, the school's worst bully.
Adam has a crush on Kerry, a human girl who is friends with Adam, but his attempts to hang out with her usually end up embarrassing him.
- Adam, Jake, and Principal Pixiefrog are the only characters to appear and have dialogue in every episode of the series.
- Adam's reason for accidentally transferring to Charles Darwin Middle School comes from his last name being "Lyon", which phonetically pronounced the same as "Lion". Since most of the animals at the school have last names that match their species, Adam was mistaken for an actual lion.
- Adam is a die-hard superfan of the in-universe TV show, Captain Clowny. He watches every episode and has purchased all of the merchandise, most noably, Captain Clowny underwear, which includes a honkable red nose on the butt.
- He has a perfect memory, when it comes to text. In "Lyon of Scrimmage", he remembered all the rules of football, word for word after just one read.
- Adam grew his first chest hair in "The Sheds".
- In "Yesterday's Funny Monkey", it was revealed that Adam was lactoce intolerant, and the consumption of milk or other dairy products gave him rancid flatulence.
- He is Diedre Koala's only friend. At the end of "She's Koala That", Diedre defriended everyone in the pack, including Adam, but in subsequent episodes, Diedre was occasionally seen eating lunch with Adam and only Adam.
- In "Save the Drama for Your Llama", it was established that he was the second weakest member of the pack, next to Ingrid.
- Unlike with most characters, none of Adam's relatives have fully appeared on-screen.
- He is the only member of his pack to be an only child. In "Ingrid Through the Out Door", it was revealed that everyone else had an older brother/sister in high school, except for Adam. A human character named "Bobby Lyon" made a brief apparance, but it was later revealed that he was actually an actial lion named "Bobby Lion", in disguise.
- In "Glazed and Confused", it was revealed that he's not a natural redhead. His real hair color is unknown.
- Adam is voiced by a female voice actor, Nika Futterman. There's running gag where characters mistake him for a girl, because of his femininine voice.
- People have indirectly broken the fourth wall, by telling him, he could voice act for a cartoon.
- Another running gag is for his underpants to be exposed in various episodes. Most of the time, they happen to be his Captain Clowny underpants.
- It's also a running gag for people to use the term "pink" to describe Adam. When people do this, they're referencing to his skin color being of Caucasian ethnicity. Though generally, people call them "white people", another common term is "pink people", because Caucasian skin has a pink undertone.
- In "I Got a New Aptitude", Adam took an aptitude test and was disappointed when the results showed he'd become a zoo animal. It turned out the test was fixed, but in "A Whole Zoo World", it just so happened that it was his future career. Unlike before, he was overjoyed when this finally happened.
- Adam made a cameo in the crossover episode "The Grim Adventures of the Kids Next Door", as one of the kids coming out of the Delightful Reaper.